Skip Navigation Links
Citizen Services
County Agencies
Find It Here
Visitor Info
Central Traffic Court Frequently Asked Questions Home >> Magistrate >> Central Traffic Court Frequently Asked Questions

     Jasper County has a centralized traffic court. Traffic Court is responsible for the recordation and disposition of traffic related offenses written on tickets and issued to individuals by the South Carolina Highway Patrol and the Jasper County Sheriff’s Department. Generally, Traffic Court is usually held for the Highway Patrol and some Sheriff’s Deputies on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 10:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. The Jasper County Traffic Team with the Sheriff’s Department holds Court every third Wednesday afternoon at 2:00 p.m. Fines vary for traffic related charges.

Frequently Asked Questions:

Q. How can I make my payment?
A. At this time you must hand deliver or mail a money order or cashier’s check. No personal or company checks are accepted. In the near future, we will begin taking credit cards.

Q. Directions to Court?
A. Please use to find directions to 967 West Adams Street, Ridgeland, SC 29936

Q. How many days do I have to make my payment?
A. If the charges does not require a mandatory court appearance, 15 actual days from the date of court.

Q. Can I pay a higher fee and have no points?
A. No.

Q. Can I make a payment arrangement?
A. You have to come to court to have the judge agree to let you enter into a stipulated time payment. You should be prepared to pay as much of the fine as possible on the day of court. Stipulated time payments are not usually granted to persons who live outside of Jasper County.

Q. Can I get a continuance? 
A. You can mail or fax a letter requesting a continuance to the Court and the presiding judge will make a decision.

Q. Can I get my points and fine reduced over the telephone?
A. No. You must be present in court if you want any reduction in points and/or fines.

Q. My license is suspended. What can I do?
A Pay the fine to the court. You will then receive a clearance form to provide to the Department of Motor Vehicles which will indicate that the court has received payment for that violation.

Q. How will the points affect my license?
A. You would need to contact your state’s department of motor vehicle to see how the charge is assessed by your state’s law.

Q. Will this affect my insurance?
A. The policies and procedures of insurance companies vary. Contact your insurance company. 

Q. I am an out of state driver. Can I attend driving school?
A. No. The State of South Carolina does not recognize out of state driving courses.

Q. Can you provide me with an attorney’s name?
A. No. You may contact the South Carolina Lawyer Referral Service by calling 1-800-868-2284.